Monday, June 20, 2005

Alejandro Escovedo

I was in Birmingham, AL over the weekend and got to see some of the CityStages Music Festival. My husband and I headed downtown to see Alejandro Escovedo and caught the last of Loretta Lynn's show at the same stage. I could barely see her over the crowd from the back. Every now and then, a glowing white dress, a glimpse of her face in the gap between heads. Luckily, I could hear her, and she sounded really strong. We edged our way to the front for Alejandro and found a good spot not far from the stage. He sounded fantastic, particularly on "Rosalie" and "Everybody Loves Me." His band was very good--violin, cello, drums, keyboard, and guitars. It was good to see him live--he looked fit and pretty happy to be there. I didn't even know he was feeling well enough to tour after his bout with Hepatitis C. He said he was working on a new CD--maybe out this fall.
We had to leave before Ryan Adams & the Cardinals on Sunday night, but I'm pretty sure I spotted him at the Galleria, looking very Ryanesque with the bed head, the glasses, and seemingly chattering nonstop on the cell phone. A certain spazzy quality convinced me it was probably him. I like his music--and I liked Whiskeytown a lot. I've heard he's a bit of a brat, but I'm not planning on having a beer with him, so it doesn't really matter to me. At least he hasn't thrown a phone at anyone...yet.

No comments: