Monday, June 13, 2005

Coming soon!

Some of my favorite writers have new novels coming out this summer. It's already been a great year for fiction with Ian McEwan's Saturday released in March. I first discovered John Crowley when I read The Translator, a beautiful, layered novel set in the 60's at a midwestern college. I then found out that he had previously written in the speculative/fantasy genre, though he is much more than a genre writer. I'm not sure he can be pinned down very neatly. I then went back a bit and read Little, Big--a sprawling, otherworldly story, sort of an apocalyptic fairytale. I would say his novels defy genre, but his soaring imagination is matched by his writing prowess. In any case, I am very much looking forward to Lord Byon's Novel: The Evening Land, to be published June 14. For more on Crowley, browse the Web site.


In July, Cormac McCarthy is back with a new novel, No Country for Old Men.

No comments: